Friday, July 17, 2009

Weekly Round-up

Well another week is almost over, although I have watched a few things of interest this week including the new Studio Ghibli film Ponyo on the Cliff.

It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but I still enjoyed it. It felt as though it was building up to something and then just glossed over it quickly. The animation was excellent as usual and character expression still amazes me in the Ghibli films. The subtitles on the DVD left a little to be desired with some whole sequences of dialog missing a translation (thankfully my 3 years of Japanese did something to at least help me understand what was going on) I will be interested to see how Pixar dub the film though...

I note the U.S poster art above is similar to Finding Nemo....so we know the audience they are targeting.

I have been going through a magic phase at the moment, most likely due to the return of Penn & Teller's Bullshit. I got hold of their DVD Off the Deep End, and whilst is was quite entertaining I still prefer their stage show based performances, the card trick on the beach was my personal favorite. The new season of Bullshit has certainly been interesting though with the last episode dealing with Video Games and whether or not violent games insight violence in the players of them. Their usual wit and common sense prevail as usual and I am looking forward to tonight's episode.

Well, Harper's Island had its big season finale last weekend too....the less said the better, suffice to say I did not enjoy it. They had 13 episodes to sort this out and make it play and this is all they could come up with?! It was nice to have a show where basically the entire cast ends up dead, but the motive and driving force behind them was just stupid.

Eureka is also back on the air waves and I must admit I enjoyed the latest episode....even if the town (in fact the whole world) was in jeopardy again!! I still have faith that at least one episode won't involve the entire destruction of the town/world/etc lets hope it doesn't let me down.

In other TV news, a few new weekly shows have been keeping my interest, I have just got the latest Warehouse 13 episode, Psychoville still gets a look in every Thursday and of course Top Gear on Sunday nights is still a must.

Otherwise...not much else to report for this week.

No comments: