Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Square (2008)

For some reason I don't seem to enjoy Australian cinema. Well, maybe I enjoy some of it. I am more a genre film appreciator than films that base themselves on cultural roots (which is the majority of the Australian Film Industries output). Whilst I appreciate the need for those types of movies, it is just one area that rarely appeals.

I actually wanted to see The Square in cinemas, but somehow I missed it. I enjoyed the trailer, it looked like it was going to be a decent enough drama / thriller. It was released on DVD recently so I thought I would rent it and give it a go.

I didn't dislike it, I just had issues with it. As mentioned in my previous review of Yella; I really take issue with films in which the lead character makes the most obviously stupid mistake that leads to endlessly and mindlessly stupid results. Regrettably The Square is a film in which nearly every character falls victim. As much as it annoys me, I can admit that for the most part the events that unfold in The Square are things that sadly, actually do happen in real life.

No comments: