Thursday, July 2, 2009

Knowing (2008)

I sat, I watched and I feel cheated. The first half of Knowing is an amazing film. Riveting, intelligent, well written, perfectly acted, beautifully shot. Almost a masterpiece and certainly the best science fiction film in ages!! Sadly, it has a second half. Dark City is one of my 10 favourite films of all time, the recent director's cut reaffirmed its place even more. Alex Proyas is a gifted science fiction director, The Crow was great, he showed his diversity outside of the genre with Garage Days which I also quite enjoyed. I, Robot was his first "commercial film" and a return to sci fi and until now I felt was the weakest of his directorial credits. What happened? I note around the net that this film met particularly divided results, it seems to be a love / hate relationship... I didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't love it. It could have been soo much more.

I am looking forward to listening to the audio commentary, Proyas is quite articulate when it comes to explaining his thoughts and motives and I am hoping he can help explain his film to me on a level that might help me to better appreciate it.....but until then.... Knowing is a film with so much promise that fails to deliver on it.

No comments: