Monday, August 22, 2011

Recent Viewings....

Over the weekend I sat down to watch a few movies, some on Blu-ray, some at the cinema.. here is the breakdown:

Reign of Fire (2002)
This has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, picked up the Blu-ray during a sale awhile back and have only just gotten around to watching it. I was surprised by how well this film holds up, the effects are pretty impressive, the end is still a bit of a let down, but it is very much an enjoyable film!


Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)
I was sadly disappointed by this film, the CGI is pretty damn impressive, but it just isn't a Planet of the Apes movie... in fact it doesn't even act as a prequel to the original film as its title strongly suggests. I must admit, I was pretty amazed by how irresponsible the adults in the film are, whether that was intentional or not I don't know, but it really distracted me and just took me out of the film, which is interesting given that I would have bet money on the fact that the CG was going to do that!


4.3.2.1 (2010)
So this film suprised me! I wasn't expecting this to be very good at all, but found myself pretty much enthralled for the majority of its duration. Not at all what I was expecting. This was a really solid Blu-ray too with great picture quality and a thumping soundtrack!

The Beaver (2011)
What the hell? I mean seriously. I don't even know what to say about this film...it really just left me wondering why... What was it trying to say? Who was this targeted at? There are so many things wrong with this that I just ended up with a bad taste in my mouth.

3:10 to Yuma (2007)
I have been playing a fair bit of Red Dead Redemption lately, so it makes sense that I was in the mood for a western. I really enjoy this film and it is quite honestly a stunning Blu-ray... the cast is great, the story (although it is a remake) is great and the film is a great revival to the genre!


Infernal Affairs (2002)
Remade by Martin Scorsese as The Departed, words cannot describe how much better Infernal Affairs is than its western counterpart. Great acting, a tight script and some awesome tension make for a fast paced thriller the likes of which have been ripped off numerous times since!

Insidious (2010)
Seriously the entire score and sound design for this film sounds like someone locked 2 stray cats and a violin under the hood of a grand piano and recorded it... lame remake of Poltergeist with such a predictable plot... really disappointed.

Dylan Dog: Dead of Night (2010)
Interesting little movie, not really anything special about it, but it was certainly entertaining and had its own style which I appreciated. I guess it is trying to cash in on the current Vampire / Werewolf trend sweeping the planet, and it does have some originality. Kind of reminded me of the old 40's noir movies, but in present day.

In the TV department, I have just started watching Haven, after a number of people recommended it. It reminds me a little of Eureka (at least in formula) and also bears a few similarities to Happy Town. I note it is based on a Stephen King story so I will be interested to see where it goes... it also helps that I have a soft spot for Emily Rose...

Will be off to the cinema again tonight to see Cowboys & Aliens....

No comments: