Friday, August 13, 2010

Trailer Alert - Let Me In

Coming to Australian cinemas this October, courtesy of Icon Entertainment, is the remake of the amazing 2008 Swedish film Let the Right One In.


I have many and varied feelings about American remakes of foreign (at least to them) films, not at all helped when I read interviews with director's of the remake and they make comments like this: "It's very much an Americanization of the tale that John Ajvide Lindqvist tells." - yep, that is Matt Reeves director of Let Me In letting us all know that the remake will be Americanized, whatever that means.

Of course he does go on to add, "The film touched me. And I read the book, which he also wrote, and it moved me too. It reminded me so much of my own childhood in certain ways. It's so much about that period of preadolescence, that feeling of being a child and of being bullied, the difficulties of growing up. It's such a beautiful coming-of-age story, in addition to being such a terrific genre story. One of the things I really wanted to do was find my own way into the story while still being very, very reverent to the beautiful film and to the wonderful story that they created. And so the story in many ways follows the same trajectory. I really wanted to put you, even more so, into the point of view of the boy and understand his childhood as vividly as it comes across in the book."

There was some hope, but I wish to point out that the screenplay of the original film was also written by John Lindqvist, which means that any omissions from the book to film adaptation are at the very least approved by its author.

A few weeks ago an international teaser trailer made the rounds on the interweb, this trailer basically made Matt Reeves film look like a shot for shot remake of the original! However, during Comic-con a red band trailer was previewed, and that has somewhat restored my faith in his efforts a little. I have placed it below for your viewing pleasure, but be warned that the content may disturb and is not suitable for younger audiences!

No comments: