Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Terminator Salvation (2009)

I have never really been a die hard Terminator fan. If I had to pick a favorite, I would say the first is probably going to be it. Having watched the extras on the DVD though, I think I would have liked it more if Lance Henriksen had been the Terminator, but that's probably just me.

Anyway, almost 25 years after the first appearance of Terminator on our screens comes the fourth installment. I didn't dislike it, but it was not a great film. I do not understand this penchant for destruction. A movie should have a purpose and the action should compliment the story, well this story doesn't make any sense and thus the action and violence is just as senseless.

The film has a fairly strong cast which is such a shame as not one of them has anything decent to do in their role; with the possible exception of Sam Worthington as Marcus Wright, but even the possibilities of his character are largely left unexplored. Christian Bale does what he can as John Connor, Bryce Dallas Howard is wasted picking up the role from Claire Danes character in the third installment.

The film doesn't actually add anything new to the time line as far as I can tell, it basically just explains a bit in the middle and then does its own thing for another 90 minutes, which quite frankly means lots of things blow up and there are a lot of loud noises. Once again....so much potential wasted on pointless action sequences. It is not quite as bad as a Michael Bay(splosions) movie, but it is not much better either.

No comments: