Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Goodies Galore


As most readers would know I am a sucker for all thing Studio Ghibli!  I really wanted the Japanese Blu-rays, but a number of things gave me hesitation.  The first was the price, whilst I don't mind shelling out, each disc is around $70 dollars and that doesn't include postage.  The second, is that I wanted them to be a full matching set and Ponyo had been released prior to the current releases in normal packaging that did not match the new sets, so I decided to wait.  Well it seems the waiting paid off, as a month or so ago, Ghibli announced that Ponyo would be getting a re-release to match the current cover types!!  And with that I present you the first wave of Ghibli Blu-rays I have purchased!

Whisper of the Heart 

Released in 1995, Whisper of the Heart is one of my favourite Ghibli films and introduces one of the few characters to appear in another Ghibli film (The Baron, who appears in the pseudo sequel The Cat Returns)

 Arrietty the Borrower

Still to be released to cinemas here in Australia, the next disc is Arrietty the Borrower.  I really enjoyed this film, but will have to sit down and watch it again before I can formulate my review.  There is so much stuff to take in with Studio Ghibli films, they are truly a marvel of animation.  This particular release came with a bonus in the form of Arrietty's hair clip. (as modeled below by my partner)


I was so impressed by these releases that I immediately purchased Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Laputa Castle in the Sky and pre-ordered Ponyo and Howl's Moving Castle!  These discs will take their prime place in my collection as they truly are a thing of beauty.

Speaking of beauty.... I also received my copy of Hanna in the form of the UK Steelbook release... great little movie and an awesome blu-ray!!

No comments: