Monday, April 13, 2009

There are three flowers in a vase. The third flower is green.

Dollhouse is one of those shows that I find myself in a love hate relationship with. I love the premise and core idea, but its application and end result always seem to disappoint. Of the first 8 episodes I have only really enjoyed 2, Episode 1.06 Man on the Street and 1.08 Needs, I find it interesting that the character I am most drawn to is Mellie (a.ka. November) played my Miracle Laurie. In 1.06 a rather interesting development in plot occurred. I can't say I hadn't predicted that it might be so, but I found the process by which they introduced the element was quite impressive. I am a little over Echo at this time and if it weren't for her handler and some of the themes being explored I would probably have given up watching weeks ago. I am not at all interested in her "missions", however the show seems to use her to draw the attention away from what essentially is prostitiuation against a persons will, by specifically avoiding sex or sexual situations on a larger scale. I am referring to stand alone episodes like 1.03, 1.05 or 1.07. I appreciate that they have dealt with some sexualisation of their dolls, obviously Sierra's handler raping her and the way that it has affected her since is interesting and shows that maybe the dolls arent completely free of emotion, not to mention that we have now learnt she is not in the dollhouse of her own free will. (Not that I would class Echo's cohearsion as free will)
My problem is that there are much larger questions or areas that could be explored and when I am delivered an episode like 1.05, I just lose all interest. The dollhouse plays much better as an ensemble piece....and presumably the writers seem to agree as we are getting mostly ensemble shows. I will continue watching Dollhouse on an episode by episode basis....given that there are only 13 I suppose I might as well watch them all, but it is going to take quite a bit to get me hooked in to dedicating my time much further....

No comments: