Monday, June 25, 2012

Blu-ray Newbies

A few new additions of note to the collection.  I am going to have to do a fairly major update soon given that I haven't posted in a ridiculously long time despite many new acquisitions and viewings... anyhow, here are the latest 3 additions:

 Above you can see I have added two new Criterion titles to my collection.  They are Shallow Grave and Harold and Maude.  I had the pleasure of sitting down to watch Harold and Maude last night, the first time I have revisited this film in at least 10 years and I must say Criterion have done a wonderful job with the transfer. It looks and sounds stunning and I am truly thankful to be able to add it to my collection.  Shallow Grave is a double dip for me as I previously got it on Blu-ray in the British Indie Film box set I purchased (it also included Trainspotting, Gangster No. 1 and Sexy Beast), interestingly I hadn't watched that version, but as the Criterion is Director approved, I think I will be sticking with their release when I do get around to watching it.


Next up we have the latest Studio Ghibli installment: From Up On Poppy Hill.  I watched this on Saturday night and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It was certainly more impressive than Goro Miyazaki's last Ghibli effort (Tales From Earthsea).  It reminded me a lot of Whisper From the Heart, which still remains one of my favourites.  My only complaint with this release I guess, is that the limited edition included the release above inside it.  If I had known that at the time, I would have bought the limited edition, but as it stands I am still happy to have the title in my collection and I am greatly looking forward to next months release of My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies!!!

No comments: